Sunday, December 9, 2012

A vistor at work.

This morning Lucy was eating her breakfast by herself, which happens when she sleeps in longer than we do. Amie and I were getting ready for work and at one point I walked out of our room and into the kitchen. Lucy was sitting at the table with her head somewhat turned down and a decidedly glum look on her face. I asked her what was wrong.
"Olum is teasing me,"she said in a sad voice.
We have referenced Olum before on this blog - he is Lucy's imaginary friend. The thing about Olum is that Amie and I NEVER know when or where he will pop up and also in what form. You might remember when Lucy excitedly shouted at the TV screen, "There's Olum!" and identified him as an elite African marathon runner. At other times, Olum is small enough to fit in the palm of her hand. He has died, more than once. He often accompanies us on our travels, though mostly flies under the plane "with the suitcases". However, Olum has NEVER teased Lucy, so this was a new one.
I promply scolded Olum for his behavior and asked him to come back into our room with me while I packed my bag for work, so that Lucy could enjoy the rest of her breakfast in peace. This seemed to satisfy Lucy.
About 5 minutes later I reemerged from our room and Lucy, who was still slowly making progress on her cereal, burst into giggles. She pointed at the bag on my shoulder and exclaimed, "You packed Olum in your bag and now he is stuck!". I immediately opened my bag, apologized to Olum and let him out. I left the room again to say goodbye to Amie and Scout and when I returned, Lucy was looking sad again. "Olum is teasing me again and he is climbing on the walls."
"Ok Olum, I have had enough! Lucy, is it ok if I bring Olum to work with me today so he will stop bothering you?" I asked her.
She smiled and nodded her head. I gave her a kiss, and Olum and I promptly left.
So, I am now at work, preparing for our last week before we head to New Zealand. And Olum is here with me...I think.

No comments: