Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Last night I attended a talk about being a conscious parent. One of the useful things I gained from this was that instead of enforcing what feels like a million arbitrary rules, let the child suffer the consequences and learn on her own.

So this morning, it became apparent that Lucy wasn't going to get dressed for school, no matter how many times I asked and offered help.  She was too busy doing a project.  Well, I decided that it wasn't worth arguing about.  Besides, what were my options? 1. Revisit a "low-parenting moment" where I virtually sat on her through kicking and screaming to get her clothes on.? No thank you! 2. Threaten her by telling her that she was not going to be able to go to school until she got dressed? Nope, I would end up late for work or she would outwit me and decide she didn't want to go anyway.  3. Take her in her pajamas?  So, thats what we did.

Truthfully, though, I don't think there is much of a lesson learned on her part.  Even if her friends made fun of her I would encourage her to stand strong, right?  The real lesson here was the one that I learned.  A lesson of letting go.  Live by fewer rules.  Let them learn by experiencing instead of preaching.

No comments: